Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hand Picked

Song suggestion:   Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce


 
    Look it up anywhere.  Google it.  Read a few books, research it or talk to a counselor.  No matter what you do, you will never find the 'right' answer.    How long does one wait to date after losing a spouse?  There are plenty of suggestions.  People are willing to give their opinions because lets be honest here.. we all really like to give our opinions.  I personally love to give my opinion.  I believe it's a sickness.. loving to give my opinion I mean, but now that were on the subject, I think it's whenever it feels right.  
    My coworker who is my age lost her father a few years before I lost mine.  I think it was a God thing, I got to watch her journey before I even knew of the one that awaited me and my family.  I watched her deal with her Dad's death, I watched her learn to move on and regain a sense of normalcy.  I soaked it in very carefully when she told me her Mom was dating again.  I knew that this may be a possibility and I needed to be ready to deal with this when and if it comes down my path.  I came to the realization about a year ago that I am OK with the idea of my Mom dating. But this man can not be just any regular man.  He has to be something special.    
     I have prayed for my mom to be able to find happiness for a long time.  At first I was not specific in my definition of 'happiness' as I prayed.  I mean.. I am talking to God.  I know that God wants us to be specific in our prayers at times.. but I don't think it's always necessary. Sometimes it's dangerous because it's very easy to get caught up in what we think will make everything better, however.. if happiness meant finding a new best friend, a new love I prayed that God.. and Dad would hand pick this one for Mom.

   People,  tonight I am again so totally aware of God's impeccable timing.  I am so peacefully aware of the mysterious yet specific way He works.   I look back on the nights I would lay in bed next to my husband and all I could think about was the fact that my Mom is laying in bed with out hers. I just wanted her to be happy.  Whatever that would entail.   Tonight I had a late dinner with a Mom who could not stop smiling.   I chatted with a Mom who is incredibly happy. Tonight I sat and listened to a woman who is dipping her toes into the waters of a new journey and loving every second of it.   I watched her as she could barely cover up a smile where only months before it was the total opposite.    

  If I could say one thing to this lovely person that is putting such an authentic smile on my Mom's face.. which I am sure one day I will, It would be that I have prayed for you before there was a 'you', and now that there is a you, I know that there is a God who does answer prayers very specifically.     

Renee



  


    

4 comments:

  1. kinda weird, and very wonderful... whenever it happens. yay for your mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy for you and your family. Some days I think there is no great joy than seeing a smile on the face of those you love the most. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee,
    I just happened to find your blog while looking at others.
    What a heart warming post.I am sure it is hard as you see your mom dating again,however you have prepared yourself for this day.
    I've gotten to know your mom while she would visit her Aunt Wilma at the nursing home.
    Diane can light up the darkest of rooms with her huge smile and warm personality.Not to mention her not so quiet laugh and her shyness that she does not lack.
    When she and her sister Fran would come to Long Term Care I knew I would be in for a few good laughs,as your mom and Fran would
    always be teasing each other about one thing or an other.On a few occasions we talked about how hard it had to be to see someone you cared about going through this again after she lost her husband.
    I wish her the very very best and I know having a wonderful daughter like you has to be a great blessing to her too.And having a child who prays for her mom to again meet Mr.Right some day is even greater.
    So to you and your mom.Gods Blessings!May you both be blessed in what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world is able experience the magnitude of love between you, your mom and dad. Your words are so telling...real...and so healing. Thank you for sharing this.
    I can't wait for the next chapter...the feeling of joy and happiness once again.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete