Sunday, November 9, 2008

Reconnecting

  Last night Justin and I had the opportunity to reconnect with old friends.  He he... that makes us sound like were in our mid fifties..  But if you've started a family you know, it inevitably happens.  You grow older, have children and don't have time to "play" with your friends every weekend.  

So when Crisinda called me last Thursday to see if we could go out for dinner I said yes.... yes, yes, yes!   These are friends that no matter what, when we get together we pick up right where we left off.  Friends we feel comfortable with.  

So, here is some background.   Crisinda and I went to middle school and high school together. While I wish we could say we were the best of friends all through the years.. I can't.  In fact we were completely nasty to each other most of the time.  I had fatefully been placed next to her locker for seven years because of the "alphabetical curse"  Vander Pol...Vander Broek.   We were friends with each other when it was convenient for ourselves.  I cannot tell you how many hours I waisted scheming against her.    Like the time she  "accidentally" slammed my hand in her locker... and then giggled.  Oooh I wanted to shove her head in the locker and slam the door... and giggle.  But I waited patiently for my next time to attack.  One time I taped a picture of a Frizz Ease add on her locker.. then waited for her to see it and let her cry on my shoulder.  Oh revenge is best served cold.  Unfortunately Mr. Bakker caught me red handed and I received my first in-school suspension.  DAMN.. it was bitter sweet.   I have many more of those stories but that is not the point.    The point of this "post" is the fact that Crisinda and I have become so much closer though our adversity.   Crisinda and Justin used to date.  Actually I went on a double date with her and Justin once. ( Must have been a good week for her and I :) ) I remember seeing Justin at her locker everyday.   When they broke up fates collided and Justin moved a locker down... awkward I am sure, but girls can be bitches.. and I was one.   Crisinda and I didn't really have much to do with each other after that.    Justin and I got married and Crisinda went to college..  

Now Brian.  Brian and Justin's story is much different.  They have been friends since they were little.  They grew up together, went to college and did pretty much everything else together.  Brian has been through everything with Justin and I.  He was the best man in our wedding. He's seen our good, our bad and our most nasty situations.  When Brian and Crisinda reconnected I was not sure what to think.   Brian... our best friend, was dating Crisinda, Justin's ex-girlfriend. Awkward at first.  The only person who made it awkward was me, and once I realized this, I got over it.  Brian and Crisinda got married.  It was a beautiful wedding.  

  Now years later we both have two children.. a boy and a girl and our lives are busy.  It makes us appreciate spending time with them even more.   Last night we went to Kimbre, an insanely yummy steak restaurant that is located in a town past Worthington... out in the middle of nowhere.  It was about an hour drive that felt like 20 minutes.  
  So nice to laugh so hard your stomach hurts and your face feels like it might be sore the next day.  So nice to slip away from our regular everyday life and just enjoy two people we love very much.   I am not sure when we will get to throw in 2-Pacs greatest hits, turn the volume up and pretend we can all keep up with Brian rapping but when the opportunity rises.  Justin and I will take it.   

 
   

  

2 comments:

  1. I thought I would check out your blog and was so surprised to find that you had written about us! I feel so special!! Brian & I had such an awesome time with you guys last night, it was funny because I actually was telling Joy about our night and basically said the exact same thing you did, That Justin & Renee are the type of friends that no matter how long it's been since we've seen them, we can pick up right where we left off. We definitely need to make a habit of getting together more often. Anyways, we love you guys a lot!

    P.S. For the record, it was an accident that I slammed your finger in the locker. You just like to say that it wasn't so that you feel better about the Frizz Ease ad. Might I also add that the locker incident happened in 6th grade? Do I remember correctly that the ad was placed on my locker when you were a Junior in high school? Hmmmmm......interesting! :)

    P.P.S. Brush yo shoulda off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Still... revenge was sweet. It was worth the in-school. It was so worth the in-school.

    P.S. I checked, there is nothing on my shoulder.

    P.P.S. Word to yo mutha.

    ReplyDelete