Thursday, November 6, 2008

School Bus Rumble

Last night I found out that Cole got into a fight on the school bus. 

I had just gotten home from work, I was tired and ready chill.  I kicked off my four inch wedges, shoved what ever I could find into my mouth and collapsed into a chair next to Justin.  That's when he dropped the bomb. 

WHAT!?  A fight?!  He's seven.  What could a seven year old possibly get into a punching fight over?   I was Furious, spewing out as many questions as I could actually ask in as little time as possible to figure out what in the HELL happened on that bus.  Half of whatever I was eating.. I honestly don't remember, went sailing in Justin's direction the other went down the wrong tube.  

"It's been happening for awhile I guess, this boy has been harassing Cole on the bus."   Justin explained to me.    

I saw red.  I saw fire.  I was shaking.  I wanted to find this young man and twist his little neck until I heard a satisfying.. snap.  That is what I wanted to do.    

"He waits till Cole gets on bus.. and then picks on him.  He punched Cole in the stomach and called him fat."    He went on.

"FAT?  He what?  FAT??"   I kept asking more questions... I wanted to understand why a kid could be so mean.    I love my son, of course I am going to want to rip the head off this... this..

"What's this little punks name!?"   I asked Justin... almost screaming at him.

 I wanted to rip little Antuan to shreds.  "ANTUAN?!  Seriously. " 

  By the next morning I had calmed down.   I was able to talk to Cole and see how he was recovering from his traumatic day.  He sat on the counter eating the usual roast beef sandwich that he always eats every morning for breakfast.    
   I asked if he was OK, if he wanted to talk about the.. "fight".    To my surprise he was very at ease with the whole event.  It became clear to me that I was more traumatized then he.  I gave him the whole, "you are special no matter what you look like" speech.  He could have cared less.  I asked Cole how he was going to approach ..ughghghghgh Antuannnnnn...  when they saw each other today.  Cole just stared at me like I was so corny.   
 
  What a realization.  I cannot always be there to protect him.  I can only pray for his protection.  I cannot shield him from the bad things that come flying in his direction.  I can only be there for him after they happen to him.  I cannot fight his battles and I most certainly cannot snap every little boys neck that wrongs my son.   But I most definitely will show him a mean right hook just in case it ever happens again.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. oh no. I will react the same way when that day comes for me. kids are so mean... :( good job with the talk, even if it was corny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you gotta tough, sweet kid on your hands. and he's got an amazing mama..

    ReplyDelete